Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Yalta Part 2


I'm back,

The day we went to the castle was also the day we took a swim in the Black Sea. It was very nice, clear and warm. The people in Ukraine aren't very shy. An old lady somewhere between 70-150 years old had no problem dropping her top for a little bird bath shoreside. She also did some laundry. I forgot to thank her cause she saved us both the need and expense for lunch, and I can never look at fried eggs the same way again. Have I mentioned that there are no shortage of wild dogs and cats running around any city we've been in? Fortunately they aren't vicious or Corrine would have lost an arm trying to pat every single one she see's. There's also no shortage of men passed out on the streets, against walls, or in parks. Sometimes these worlds collide. I was walking back to the apt. one afternoon when I came across a guy who had stopped at the store for some beer and weiners. I think he must have had a few beers in him already cause he was passed out on the sidewalk with the beer pouring out, and a cat enjoying the weiners! I wish I had a camera with me.

We are fighting with both our useless travel agent and Air Canada right now trying to book our flights out of hell, but the agent seems to think phones grow on trees here, or maybe I can just stroll into the office in Frankfurt to make the changes in person. We have limited internet access, and no phone while Vitaly's away. I have asked her 3 time to do it but she is afraid to spend an extra $100.00. (Total loser) even after I have sent 3 emails and had Corrine's Dad call her. There won't be an easy step through this process.

The kids were very happy to see us when we got back. I think they thought we left without them. (Poor buggers) They seem to have grown a little so we've decided not to by any clothes until they stop. lol I'll try to post some pictures when Vitaly gets back. Until then,


Quick edit: I finally feel comfortable posting pictures of the kids. I posted our first family photo! To settle the bet Nicholas is 8 and Tanya is 5.

TTFN
R&C

6 comments:

Andrea said...

If I am counting right, your ten days should be up this Thursday, no? If you are booking tickets, when do you plan on being home? We continue in a heat wave with humidex taking the temps into the high 40's. Uggh. It's searingly hot with a nice wind just to top it off.
Looking forward to the triumphant return and meeting the children,

Cheers,
The Hilderman's

Kev said...

We planned the corn roast for your place at tonight's Agassiz meeting. Maybe you guys will be back in time for it...how does early September sound? Do you think you'll have everything wrapped up by then? You might want to buy the corn in Ukraine, just in case you're running a little late. Considering you've decided not to buy the kids any clothes, stuff the corn in their suitcases. It will be easier than carry-on.

Kim & Brad said...

Hello ex-Simpson family. You should have stayed the Simpson’s, your movie is doing fabulous and you would have been rich!!!

Seriously, it’s day 10 today! Woooo Hooooo. Tomorrow all the running around starts. But just think, it’s one of the last legs to get home. Hope the flights are working out! Hope you get those passports fast. Can’t wait to meet Nicholas and Tanya. What are you calling them? Nick? Tanya or Tetyana?

Kim & Brad said...

I just say your comment. It's week 7 for you? You are going to beat us. You must be dying to come home!

Nicole and Paul said...

dobre dene and congrats! we're so excited to hear of your family news - take care of each other, and good luck with the flights and the trip home!
Nicole and Paul

The Harvey's said...

Rob, where did you get those pants?